8 Tips for Winterizing Your Honda CR-V
We’ve all been enduring a really brutal winter this year here in Michigan. That’s why the time is now to winterize your vehicle if you haven’t already done so. For starters, we’ve put together a list of the following tips on how to properly winterize your Honda. While these suggestions will work on just about any make or model car, we’re paying special attention to the all-new 2015 Honda CR-V, which was just named Motor Trend Magazine’s 2015 SUV of the Year.
If you are fortunate enough to own one of these completely redesigned and award-winning SUVs, you already know how capable the 2015 Honda CR-V is when it comes to handling snowy or inclement weather; especially if it’s equipped with available all-wheel drive. So let’s take a look at how you can keep your 2015 Honda CR-V in great shape this winter:
- Use the proper winter-grade oil – Running thicker oil in the wintertime can decrease performance and increase engine wear. With as many below-freezing days we experience, it’s critical to use the correct viscosity oil so that it flows freely throughout the engine. Refer to your Honda owner’s manual for more information.
- Keep the engine coolant up to par – Living in areas of extreme temperatures like we do here in Ann Arbor make the proper mix of coolant critical to preventing corrosion and maintaining correct engine temperatures. A 60/40 mix of coolant (ethylene glycol) and water, respectively, is usually recommended. If in doubt, consult your owner’s manual or seek help from our service techs here at Germain Honda of Ann Arbor.
- Check your battery – Cold weather saps the energy right out of batteries. Inspect your battery for corroded terminals, cracked cables, and battery fluid. Some batteries come with an “eye” that you can use to visually inspect your fluid levels. Use only distilled water. Or, if in doubt, have your battery checked by a trained technician. Also, look and the date of manufacture. Older batteries will wear out more quickly.
- Swap out your summer tires – If you haven’t already done so, swapping our your summer tires on your CR-V with those made expressly for winter will greatly improve your handling and stopping power during snow, wet, or icy conditions. All-season tires are good too; although you won’t get all the advantages of a tire expressly designed for the snow. Also, tires lose air pressure in the winter, so be sure to check your air pressure regularly and keep your tires properly inflated.
- Check your wiper blades and windshield washer fluid – A new set of heavy duty wiper blades will keep your windshield clean even in inclement weather. And specially formulated winter-grade washer fluid won’t freeze up; however, be careful as some washer fluid with a bit of antifreeze can harm your paint.
- De-ice your door locks – For older cars that aren’t equipped with remote door locks like the 2015 Honda CR-V, having a tube of inexpensive glycerine on hand will help unstick frozen door locks to help avoid breaking off your key in the lock.
- Have an emergency kit handy – A well-stocked emergency kit can be a real lifesaver. You can buy one or create one yourself. Make sure it has the following items: Flares, blankets boots, radio, engine oil, washer fluid, coolant, flashlight, and first-aid items like bandages, etc.
- Renew your headlights – Over time, clear plastic headlight covers will cloud up and reduce nighttime visibility. You can purchase an off-the-shelf, DIY headlight restoration kit, or you can choose to have your headlights restored to crystal clarity by a professional.
Here’s another tip: Save money at Germain Honda of Ann Arbor
No matter what time of year, you’ll get a great deal on the all-new, award-winning 2015 Honda CR-V SUV at Germain Honda of Ann Arbor. As your five-star Honda dealership in Ann Arbor, Michigan, you can always expect to get “The right car, the right, price, the right way.” Take advantage of money-saving dealer and/or manufacturer incentives: Lease a new 2015 Honda CR-V 2WD LX for $239 per month for 39 months. Or purchase a new 2014 CR-V with 0.9% financing for up to 60 months. Click here for additional incentives on selected 2014 and 2015 Hondas. Germain Honda is conveniently located at 2601 S. State St., Ann Arbor, MI 48104. For sales, call 866-876-9008. For service, call 888-450-8190.
The post 8 Tips for Winterizing Your Honda CR-V appeared first on Germain Honda of Ann Arbor.
0 comment(s) so far on 8 Tips for Winterizing Your Honda CR-V